Weather Station Depot is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and others. Affiliate advertising programs are designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and other programs.
Are you looking for an affordable Davis weather station? If you’ve cringed at the price of the Vantage Pro2, you might want to take a look at the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue.
The Vantage Vue gives up a little with the all in one design. You get a little boost in accuracy if you can get the anemometer up high while keeping the rest of the station at your level. With careful weather station siting, this advantage can be minimized. But otherwise, you still get the super-accurate sensors and the superior transmission range that the Vantage Pro2 is known for.
Davis, a company known globally for high-end precision weather instruments, has entered the mid-ranged consumer weather station market.
The Davis 6250 Vantage Vue is an all-in-one weather monitoring system, a form that most of the popular weather station manufacturers have had so much market success with. Many weather stations for home use now have this configuration.
Davis refers their all in one outdoor sensor as an “Integrated Sensor Suite”, or ISS for short. The Davis Vantage Vue has, of course, achieved “Best Seller” status among both hobbyists and professionals.
Take a look at the Amazon listing for more information, photos, and availability.
Installing the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue is super simple
As you can see, the installation and setup are very easy:
Simply slide the outdoor sensor over a pipe or pole that’s about 1.3 inches wide and tighten the u-bolt. You’ll need a compass or some other way of determining North so you can align the sensor properly.
Benefits of Davis Weather Stations:
- All-In-One design – Easy To Install
- 1000″ Range – Place Anywhere You Want To
- 180MPH Wind Limit – It’s Very Durable
- Updates Often – See The Weather Right Now
- Very Accurate – Reports The Best Data Possible
Features and specifications
Here is what the Davis Integrated sensor suite (ISS) measures outside:
- Temperature: -40° to +150°F in 0.1°F or 1°F increments, your choice.
- Accuracy: ±1°F above 20°F and ±2°F below 20°F.
- Updates every 10 to 12 seconds.
The thermometer is enclosed in a passive solar radiation shield for more accurate readings.
- Relative Humidity: 1 to 100% RH
- Accuracy: ±3% from 0 to 90% RH, and ±4% from 90 to 100% RH.
- Data sent every 50 to 60 seconds.
- Wind speed: 2 to 180 mph, measured in 1mph increments.
- Accuracy: ± 2mph or ± 5%, whichever is greater.
- Updates every 2.5 to 3 seconds.
- Wind direction: 16 point compass rose and 1° numerically
- Range 0 to 360° (No kidding!) | Accuracy: ± 3° | Updates every 2.5 to 3 seconds.
- Rainfall: From 0 to 199.99″ measured in 0.01″ increments. (Or metric if you prefer.)
- Accuracy: 4% or 1 tip (.01″) whichever is greater.
- Updates every 20 to 24 seconds.
For more pictures and comments, and availability, look at the Vantage Vue listing.
So as you can see, the range and accuracy are quite impressive, but what I find most useful is the update frequency. How would you like to look outside and see trees and power lines down and only a 15mph gust measured by your home weather station? GRRR… The Davis Vantage Vue would have caught and recorded the gust for you. Too bad about the trees and all, but you’d have the data!
Best Transmission Range
All of the weather measurements are sent to the indoor monitor. The ISS and display monitor can be up to 1000 feet apart! That’s about 3 times the distance that everyone else achieves.
Here’s the Davis Display Console
In addition to displaying the temperature, humidity, wind info, and rainfall from the integrated sensor suite, the indoor display console measures and shows the time, barometric pressure with trend arrow, along with indoor temperature and humidity. The indoor display unit also shows calculated figures for…
- Dew Point Range is 105° to +130°F with an accuracy of 3°F | Updated every 10 to 12 seconds.
- Rain rate The range is 0.04″ per hour to 40″ per hour with an accuracy of ±5% | Updates every 20 to 24 seconds
- Heat Index Has a range of 40° to +165°F with an accuracy of ±3°F | Updates every 10 to 12 seconds.
- Forecast Calculated using barometric reading & trend, wind speed & direction, rainfall, temperature. humidity, Latitude & Longitude, and time of year. Updates every hour.
- Sunset and Sunrise times Calculated from your latitude and local time.
- Moon Phase Things get weird when there’s a full moon…
The display console on the Davis 6250 also has onboard memory to store the weather data. You can bring the historical weather information up as a graph of the last 26 data points of a time scale of your choosing. The time scale choices are 10 min., 1 hour, 1 day, 1 month, and 1 year.
How to Connect your Davis Vantage Vue to the Internet
The downside to the Davis 6250 is that it needs additional hardware to connect to the internet weather sites like Weather Underground and CWOP. If you don’t care, great! However, if you want to connect to a weather network you will need the Davis Weatherlinkip.
One thing you can count on is great customer service…
“it was extremely easy to set up. This is a plug and
“This is the best weather stations we have ever owned.”
“Davis weather stations are the best. Very easy to install and intuitive to use”
“my Davis weather station still works after many years of operation; I’m very happy…”
The Davis line of home weather equipment has a well-deserved reputation for high quality. If your weather conditions tend toward the extreme, or if you require rapidly refreshed weather data, I would say the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue is what you need.
Some more pages for you:
Here are some ideas on installing your new weather station.
Want to see another best seller? Check out the WS-2902A here.
Don’t forget to check out the other weather stations available now.
[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]